Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Distance makes the heart grow fonder


We all know the saying "distance makes the heart grow fonder".

I can say that right now being thousands of miles away from some of the most important people in my life this rings very true in my life.

My heart was so blessed a few days ago by a note I was tagged in on facebook. It was a conversation that my nephew Korben was involved in. He is only six and he has no idea what his precious thoughts and words meant to me but they were such a blessing. (Thank you so much Janet for sharing them with me )

Korbens conversation with Mom Janet:

After dinner tonight we were sitting at the table talking and Korben (who just turned 6) says......."Mom, why don't you give me money?" If you want me to give you money you have to do chores for it? "What's chores?" Feed the dog, give her water, keep your room clean, stuff like that. " Oh, OK" ( as he's filling the dog's food bowl). I'll water her so you don't spill it. "No I can" (as he drips water across the kitchen). Fills it half full and takes it back (dripping all the way.) Gets the towel and cleans it up too!). "What else?" You done with your plate? "Yep." (Takes the plate, rinses it, AND puts it in the dishwasher.) By the time we were done talking about chores the kitchen was done! Korben, what are you going to do with your money? "Put it in my bank and save it." Good deal, what are you going to buy with it? "I want to save it so we can go to Arizona so I can see Aunt Amber." GAVE HIM A DOLLAR!

I KNOW!!!! How precious is that?!?! I love my nephew and how beautiful it is that he would want to spend his hard earned money to come and see me. I hope that when he is a teenager he still feels the same way ;)

So first off, I need to thank God for the blessing and how He loves us through people. I know that was God himself loving me through Korben. It was a love letter straight from God himself.

All day I have been thinking about the whole idea of how distance makes the heart grow fonder and how I miss my friends and family so much. Then it dawned on me how much I miss the Lord. I know, I know, your thinking He is always with me but what you don't know as that I am not always "being" in His presence.
I don't know about you but I don't want distance from the Lord to make my heart grow fonder. I want sitting in his lap everyday to make my heart grow fonder. There is something about tasting the Lords goodness. Once you have, it is never satisfying to be distant. Something is always eating away at you. Something always feels as if it is missing. Life is just a little off beat.

I asked myself today. DO you think the Lord needs a love letter from you? A reminder of how much I miss him too? Just as I was blessed by knowing how much my nephew misses me I think the Lord wants that from me as well.

He wants me to save up all my "dollars" to spend time with him. ;)
This is so juvenile and simple, I know.

But sometimes that's what we need. A "simple" reminder.

May we sit with the Lord daily and listen to Him as He speaks. May we give him all our "dollars" or time or whatever it is he wants from us.

Thank you Father

and thank you Korben!

Blessings, from another child <3

No comments:

Post a Comment